近义词分类 | 反义词 | 非正式和正式 |
语法： 什么是形容词 | 形容词的比较级和最高级的语法 | 形容词的比较级和最高级的语法 2 | 多个形容词排序 | 来自名词的形容词 | 形容词的组成 | 复合形容词 | 主观与客观 | 形容词举例 | 形容词练习 |
形容词的组成 Forming adjectives
Typical adjective endings 形容词的结尾形式：
Some adjectives can be identified by their endings. Typical adjective endings include:
- -able/-ible understandable, capable, readable, incredible
- -al mathematical, functional, influential, chemical
- -ful beautiful, bashful, helpful, harmful
- -ic artistic, manic, rustic, terrific
- -ive submissive, intuitive, inventive, attractive
- -less sleeveless, hopeless, groundless, restless
- -ous gorgeous, dangerous, adventurous, fabulous
Sometimes when adding these endings changes have to be made. Here are some rules for forming adjectives and their exceptions:
|-al||If ending with an ‘e‘, drop it||Nature
|-y||If ending with an ‘e‘, drop it||Ice
|-ful||If ending with a ‘y‘, replace with an ‘i‘||Beauty
|-ous/-ious||If ending with a ‘y‘, drop it||Mystery
|-ic||If ending with a ‘y‘, drop it||History
Forming adjectives from nouns and verbs
Adjectives can be formed from different words. They can be formed from nouns:
Or even from other adjectives:
Examples of forming adjectives
- Our house color is a kind of yellow. → We live in a yellowish house.
- He often acts like a child. → He often acts in a childish way.
- The event was a big success. → We enjoyed a successful event.
- We enjoyed the sound of the drum’s rhythm. → We enjoyed the drum’s rhythmic sound.
- She adopted a dog without a home. → She adopted a homeless dog.
- Look out, that plant is poison. → Look out for that poisonous plant.
- It looks like it will rain today. → It looks like we’ll have rainy weather today.
- She always acts with courtesy. → She always behaves in a courteous manner.
- Her hair is pretty. → She has the prettiest hair.
- We go for a walk each day. → We go for a daily walk.
Forming adjectives exercises
1. Choose the adjective from each of the following groups of words:
- inventive, invent, invented
- curiosity, curious, curiousive
- proliferate, prolific, proud
Answers: A – inventive B – curious C – prolific
2. Form adjectives from the following nouns:
Answers: A – smelly B – chilly C – wide
3. Form adjectives from the following verbs:
Answers: A – interesting B – amazing C – annoying
4. Form adjectives from the following verbs. Some words may be formed into more than one adjective:
Answers: A – escaped, escaping B – improved, improving C – damaged, damaging
5. Form longer adjectives from the following adjectives. Some words may be formed into more than one adjective:
Answers: A – funnier, funniest B – incorrectly C – bluest, bluer, blueish
6. Form adjectives from the following nouns:
Answers: A – magical B – foolish C – ladylike
7. Form two adjectives from each of the following nouns:
Answers: A – lifelike, lifeless B – powerful, powerless C – friendly, friendless
8. Form adjectives from each of the following nouns:
Answers: A – costly B – warlike C – monthly
9. Form adjectives from each of the following nouns:
Answers: A – poisonous B – courteous C – mysterious
10. Form adjectives from each of the following nouns:
Answers: A – athletic B – photographic C – scientific